Monday, June 19, 2017

Look Inward to Move Forward

 

Last year I read an article by Stephen B. Hatton, in the National Genealogical Society Quarterly, entitled, “Thinking Philosophically About Genealogy.”[1] In it he offered a framework for a philosophic ontology for genealogy that researchers could practically apply to their work. Mr. Hatton also observed that “Failing to have a philosophy-genealogy dialog separates genealogy from other academic fields.” I couldn’t agree more. Though my ideas about philosophy are certainly much more simplistic, than Mr. Hatton’s, I also believe that embracing this type of thought and dialog can only strengthen the profession.

Though somewhat new to the world of genealogical research, I’ve spent time in, or with those involved in, other disciplines. One cannot spend much time around writers, artists or musicians, for instance, without them talking about why they do what they do. It’s reasonable to say that sometimes you can’t get them to stop talking on this subject.

The more time spent around family historians though, I’ve noticed that why we do this work is not usually a focus of discussion. You hear much about what the projects are and the methods used to solve problems. The enthusiasm when one or more genealogists gather is immense and the talk about the work can be exciting. Yet, the discussion about why we do what we do rarely goes beyond, “Oh, I wanted to do something for my new grandchild, and got hooked,” or “I didn’t know who my mother’s grandfather was, and next thing you know, I’m a genealogist.”

There is almost an embarrassment about expressing too much emotion or assigning too much meaning to the work, as if it might somehow negate professionalism. Personally, I’ve found this work to be emotional and profound on many levels for my clients and myself.

The incident that pulled me into this amazing profession was curiosity about an old photograph found at an estate sale: A middle-aged couple strolling hand-in-hand down a street in Wiesbaden in 1929. It had lived above my desk for fifteen years before I took it down to cut a new mat and discovered an inscription on the back of the photo. Subsequent research on the photo led me from Germany to Palestine to Portland, Oregon, and finally to the couple’s grandchildren, now in their 80s and 90s. To be able to offer them an image of their grandparents was thrilling and humbling and healing. I wanted more of that feeling.

Since that experience, and as I’ve gained more education and experience in this field, I often ask myself: “Why do I want to do this work?” For me the answer that comes up most frequently is: Healing. Somehow, learning about an ancestor’s history can bring a new understanding about the people you love and yourself.

Why others pursue genealogy as a profession or avocation is personal to them. But, I believe it’s important to ask ourselves why we do what we do and to discuss it with others. Why we do things informs how we do them. To grow as a profession and as an academic discipline, expanding our definition of what the profession is and our role in it is fundamental. And, no question makes those first baby steps toward a philosophy-genealogy dialog better than asking ourselves: Why?

Why do you do genealogy? Leave a comment below!

 [1] Stephen B. Hatton, ““Thinking Philosophically About Genealogy,” National Genealogical Society Quarterly, Volume 104, No. 1, (March 2016), pages 5-18.

About image: Elizabeth Greenwood (Oregon) photograph, 1938, digital image, 2015, privately held by R. Johnson, [address private] Ohio, 2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment